Cigars and fine wine fall in the same category. They are organic consumer products, each with its delicate flavors and aromas that you must preserve. If you need to get the best from your cigar, you need to store it right, cut it right, light it as you should, and even hold it right.
For all cigar users, there are several accessories that come in handy. These are the bare necessities you need to enjoy your cigar. Using a candle instead of a lighter or using your kitchen scissors instead of cigar cutters will only mess your cigar smoking experience, and you do not want that.
In this cigar accessories buyer’s guide, you will find six of the accessories you need every day, and a complete guide to help you only shop for the best.
Top Cigar Accessories For You – Summary Table
1. Roygra Cigar Ashtray – Best for Outdoor Use and Travel
- Size: 4.8 by 2.6 by 1 inches
- Material: Ceramic
- Color: Orange
- Others: Bottom Pad
Roygra Cigar Ashtray sports an attractive, lightweight, and compact design that is ideal for outdoor use and travel. The coating and texture on the surface will not fade with time. This coating makes the unit easy to clean and also enhances its durability. At the bottom of the ashtray is pad that ensures the unit doesn’t scratch your table.
2. AMANCY Classic Leather 4-Cigar Travel Case – Best Versatile Cigar Accessory
- Capacity: 4 cigars
- Size: 8.1 by 5.2 by 3.1inches
- Material: Black leatherette and cedar wood
- Others: Included ashtray, cigar cutter, humidifier, lighter, and dropper
If you need an all-inclusive package to enjoy your cigar smoking experience, this might be a good option for you. Included in the package is a black leather case that can hold up to four full-size cigars, a high quality stainless steel cigar cutter, 2 butane lighters, humidifier, dropper, and cedar wood ashtray. These are all the accessories you need to start enjoy your cigar.
3. Quality Importers Old World Desktop Humidor – Best Storage Case for your Cigars
- Capacity – 100 cigars
- Size – 13.6 by 10 by 6.5 inches
- Material – Spanish Cedar
- Others – Included glass hygrometer, 2 dividers, and old map
If you need to store up to 100 cigars, this is a great unit for you. It sports a quality Spanish cedar construction that is excellent at retaining aroma and moisture. Inside the unit are two dividers made of Spanish cedar. There are also two dividers at the bottom for better organization. Outside, the humidor features a walnut finish with a map of the globe. This makes the case attractive for use in every home.
4. Alaska Bear Stainless Steel Cigar Cutter – Best Value Cutter
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Hole Diameter: 0.892 inches
- Cigar Cut: Up to gauge 60
- Others: Comes in gift box
If you are looking for an easy to use, yet high quality cigar cutter, this cutter might be a great choice for you. It sports a brushed stainless steel construction, which ensures it maintains its shine and its edge, and is easy to clean. It is only 3.5 inches long, which means it will fit in most cigar cases or even in your pocket for easy reach when you need it.
5. TOMOLO Refillable Butane Cigar Lighter – Best Refillable Butane Lighter
- Material: Zinc alloy and plastic
- Size: 1.1 by 0.8 by 3.3 inches
- Color: Black
- Others: Refillable butane lighter
The TOMOLO Refillable Butane lighter is a great option when you need to enjoy your cigar at home, outdoors, or when you travel. Its head sports a high quality zinc alloy construction while the body features high quality plastic to guarantee the durability of the unit. The plastic tank is transparent so that you can see the level of butane. Better yet, the cigar punch design makes the lighter easier to use.
The unit produces high-quality triple jet flames that are hotter than single or double flames ordinary in most lighters during use.
Your package comes in two attractive gift boxes if you need to gift this lighter to someone. All you have to do is fill your lighter with butane and start using it. As a guarantee of quality, the unit comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
6. TaoTronics HEPA H13 Air Purifier – Best Air Purifier for the Whole House
- Coverage: 161 square feet
- Filter: HEPA H13
- System: 3-stage
- Others: Size 12.8 by 6.8 by 19.7 inches
Do you want to protect those who do not smoke cigar in your home? You can do it with this three-stage air purifier. It is available in either black or white to match the décor in your house. According to the manufacturer, the system can purify 250 square feet in 12 minutes, 330 square feet in 15 minutes, and 550 square feet in 22 minutes. This makes it highly efficient for use in a home with multiple rooms.
The system filters air up to 99.7 percent in three stages. The first stage is pre-filter, the second is activated carbon filter, and the third is HEPA H13 filter. It is a great unit for cigar smokers, but it also filters other particles such as dust, odors, pollen, and leaves.
It sports an advanced 4-in-1 functionality. For starters, it has a sleep mode that sets in when the system has been running for a long time. It also has an auto mode, a timer, and negative ion mode. This way, you can set the unit as you would want it to run. Further, you can set the fan at any of the four speeds, including Turbo for very fast speed, high, medium, and low. All you need to do is set the mode and the speed that meets your needs.
It further has an air quality monitor that senses and indicates the quality of air in real-time. If you set the auto mode system, the smart sensor will adjust the modes and the fan’s speed to meet your air purification needs.
Buyer’s Guide: How Do You Pick the Right Cigar Accessory?
To enjoy your cigar, you need at least six accessories:
- Humidor – To store your cigar
- Cigar Case – To carry your cigar when you travel
- Cigar Cutter – To cut your cigar to precision
- Cigar Lighter – To light the cigar the right way
- Ashtray – To hold ash as you enjoy the cigar
- Air Purifier – To ensure non-smokers around you do not get the smoke from your cigar
Below is a comprehensive guide on how to shop for these accessories.
The beauty of cigars is in their flavor and aroma. To have the best experience, you need to store them under the right conditions to protect the flavor and protect them from insects. Humidors sport a special design that maintains steady humidity levels to keep the cigars safe.
They may look like any other wooden boxes, but they have a tight lid that locks the humidity inside. If the humidity levels drop, the humidor has its humidification system that adds moisture to the air inside.
What does a humidor do?
- Retains the essential oils that give flavor and aroma to the cigar
- Ensures proper burn temperature
- Protects cigar from insect damage
- Enhances flavor as the cigar ages
Factors to Consider When Shopping for a Humidor:
- Capacity – How many cigars can the humidor hold?
- Spanish Cedar – This wood adds flavor to aging cigars and also repels insects
- Hygrometer – Tracks the humidity levels inside the humidor
- Humidity System – If a humidor requires to adjust the humidity levels, this system comes in handy
- Temperature Control – Because changes in temperature results in changes in relative humidity, a temperature control system keeps your cigars safe.
You can also look at the style and appearance and convenience features such as LED lighting.
A cigar cutter ensures that you cut your cigar right. If you use a knife or kitchen scissors, you only end up crushing the cigar or damaging the wrapper. The experience will be unpleasant.
Cigar cutters come in different designs, sizes, and materials. Some of the most common styles include:
- Single-blade Guillotine – These perform a straight cut with the blade moving from one direction. They need to be very sharp to cut precisely. Although they are cheaper than double-blade cutters, they are waning in popularity as the double-blade cutters are more precise.
- Double-blade Guillotine – Here, two blades cut the cigar straight. These are now the most common cigar cutters with the premium options featuring stainless steel construction, self-sharpening blades, spring system, and other convenience features.
- Scissors – These specially designed scissors might be hard to use, but they are considered a premium choice. They sport high-grade steel construction, and they cut efficiently.
- V-cut – These cutters are no longer popular, but some cigar enthusiasts still love them. They are designed with a wedge of a blade that cuts a v-shape on the cigar head.
- Cigar Punch – When you need the most compact traveling cigar cutter, this unit might be good for you. It sports a simple blade curved into a ring.
- Piercer – If you do not need a large opening, you can go for a piece. It makes pin holds on the head of the cigar from which you can smoke with ease.
How often should I sharpen the cigar cutter?
The duration takes your cutter to get dull depends on how often you use it. If you use it several times a week, you might have to sharpen it twice a year.
One of the most important factors to consider when shopping for a cigar lighter is size. If, for instance, you want to light a 60 gauge cigar with a single flame lighter, it will take forever. Instead, a triple flame lighter might work just fine. If the cigar fails to light as fast as you need, you might think of burning the wrapper, which will affect the cigar’s flavor.
When shopping, butane lighter is the best option for cigar enthusiasts. These lighters are ideal as they do not produce any odor, and the flavor of your cigar remains. Butane lighters also provide a flame resistant to wind, allowing for fast lighting.
Lighters come in categories according to the flame they produce:
- Single flame
- Dual flame
- Triple flame
Cigar Cases and Tubes
Have you ever carried a cigar in your shirt pocket? It is a bad experience. Cases and tubes make it easier for you to carry a few cigars for a weekend out. The cases may be leather, wood, carbon, plastic, metal, or a blend of two or more of these materials. Most of these carry between two and five cigars.
When shopping for a cigar case or tube, consider the following factors:
- The material and durability of the case
- The level of protection the case gives the cigars, including protection from drying out and damage from insects
- Suitability as a travel companion
- Ease of use and ease of cleaning
- The attractiveness of the outer surface
Cases might come with dividers for better organization, while tubes are modeled to the cigar’s shape. Today, some tubes and cases sport a humidification system. You will pay more for these, but they are more protective for your cigar.
Ashtray Buyer’s Guide
You cannot ash on the ground, whether you smoke indoors or outdoors. Instead of creating a mess on the ground and having to sweep every after a few minutes, you need an ashtray. Trays come in different sizes from single-use tray to a tray that more than five people can use.
More advanced systems come with LED lighting and fans – these can connect to the main electricity or run on batteries. Other types to consider include:
- Ashtray for the car
- Street capsules
- Palm-sized ashtrays
- Smokeless ashtrays
Smokeless ashtrays are great when you always hang out with non-smokers. These will cost you more than other trays, but they are effective at eliminating the smoke. Ashtrays for the car are usually built-in, but you can still find aftermarket trays.
If you want to protect non-smokers in your house, you need an air purifier. This is a normal cleaner that removes dust particles, allergens, and more.
When shopping for an air purifier, you need to get one that purifies an area as much as the room you smoke in or even more. Some of the features to consider when shopping include:
- Activated Carbon Filter – These filters are effective at containing ultra-fine particles from the air, which means smoke particles are easily filtered in the purifier.
- Capacity – The purifier must clean air in the room you smoke in. Consider the size of the room and the power of the purifier when shopping.
- CADR AND Energy Efficiency – CADR is short for clean air delivery rate. It shows how often the purifier recycles the air around you. A purifier with a high CADR number comes in handy if you smoke often. Again, always pick a unit with an energy star rating to ensure you save on energy bills.
- Modes of Operation and Fan Speeds – Most purifiers offer different modes of operation to meet your air purification needs. Some systems even come with an auto mode that adjusts the fan speeds and automatically selects the mode based on the room’s air quality.
Some systems come with smart features to detect the air quality of the room. These are better as you do not have to manually adjust the fan speeds and other factors as long as you set them on auto mode.
You can have the best cigar experience wherever you are as long as you have the right accessories. Enjoying a cigar requires that you retain its flavor and aroma. To do that, you need to store the cigar right under the right humidity conditions in a humidor. If you are carrying the cigar, ensure you have the right case too for the best humidity.
Next, you need to cut the cigar right. A sharp cutter ensures you do not crush your cigar.
You also need to light your cigar right. A good lighter should ensure the cigar remains odorless and it doesn’t burn the cigar wrapper. Check out the six accessories above and start enjoying your cigar today.