Best Hookah Head
Make the right hookah session with this bowl!
This hookah bowl is constructed out of silicone, making it durable and allowing for better heat control. It comes with vents that you can use to help you control the heat from the coals.
The manufacturer claims that their product is unbreakable but of course you can take that with a grain of salt.
2. BudPro Vortex – Best Choice Who Prefers Vortex Hookah
It also has pretty good aesthetics. It controls the temperature quite well, and it doesn’t get scorching.
3. Texas – Best Option for Those who Prefer Ceramic Bowls
This vortex-type hookah bowl is sold in different colors – pink, green, red, blue, and black. This is actually a traditionally styled product with a deeper bowl. Note that the product should come with a grommet.
The Feature You Would Appreciate
It keeps the flavor of your hookah up-float, so you get more out of it. In some instances, it can even extend your smoking session up to 1.5 hours more.
This hookah bowl will not fit all hookahs, but it can fit many brands out there. If it does not fit the hookah you already have, then you must use a rubber grommet.
4. Crown Shisha Head – Best Option for Travelers
It’s a chrome bowl, but unlike other metal bowls, this one is designed not to burn your tobacco.
What is the best feature of this bowl?
It features an inverted design (the coals are positioned underneath the tobacco receptacle) so that the tobacco leaves have less contact with the direct heat. The result is more vaporized smoke.
5. Pharaoh’s Hydra – Best Choice for All Around Applications
Pharaoh’s Hydra is a three in one hookah bowl, which is why it is called the “hydra.” It’s a traditional style, vortex, and funnel style hookah all in one. The way this hookah bowl is designed it does not make any flavor ghosting due to the slow burn off it makes.
Simple but Perfect
Another great thing about the Hydra is that it fits pretty much any hookah you can find in the market.
The way the cone is designed, the bottom fits any size, so you won’t need to use any grommet.
Best Hookah Bowl – Buyer’s Guide
You should be looking at three basic factors when you’re on the market for Hookah bowls. You should consider the bowl’s material, the shape of the bowl, and the size of the bowl. Also, you should understand that types of different hookahs for sale can affect the size of the bowl. These factors come into play depending on your smoking habits and personal preferences.
How to Pack a Bowl – Tutorial Shisha Tips and Tricks
- We have the first bowl, which has some Cyrus Vittoria. How we pack is pretty simple. Basically, we would have to use a fork: grab a fork, get the tobacco, just drop it in there, a kind of rearrange it, but don’t press it. I’m thinking like this would be sufficient.
- The next step is getting a toothpick or, like, you know, any poker, grab the bowl and fluff out the tobacco. Why we are doing this is to make the bowl smoke here. So once the tobacco is fluffy in the bowl, uh, usually what happens is the heat gets around the tobacco leaves, and it burns more efficiently.
- If you are smoking alone at home, you want to get a short session of smoking. I like to get the tobacco up to the point where I have about five millimeters between the edge of the bowl and then the tobacco and rearrange it. Make sure it lays evenly. This bowl should last for about 40 minutes, which has plenty in my opinion because anything more than an hour of smoking if you are alone, especially, might give you a headache. All right, so we’re done with this one. So the next ball that we have is a who could John Ball funnel style. Uh, with this one, we’ll show you the packing of a ball, which basically keeps in mind the flavor, not the smokiness.
- So what we would need is, again, the tobacco. But this time, we’re not gonna live with fluffy. We want to press it a bit for this ball; we use, um, basically more tobacco. We want to get the fork or a toothpick or something like that and kind of push it a bit.
- That way, the top layer of the tobacco is pressed down. All right, so the bowls that we prepare that ready, they heat it for, I’ll say four minutes now, and we’ll give them a try and see how they smoke. Well, as you can see, the heat, um, I mean the smoke output from this bowl and this particular ball is pretty good. The flavor is on par. So I’ve had this type of ball then, um, I just showed how to pack it properly. But that depending on what type of tobacco you are using. If you’re using like Alfalfa, Starbucks for Maori or like, you know, any lighter tobacco, that will be good for you. All right, so we have a fresh start.
- So basically, due to the tobacco sitting low in a bowl, he heats up a little bit slower, but once it gets heated up, once it heats up, you’ll, you’ll notice a lot of smoke. So for the third bowl, we kind of pushed the tobacco a bit, so it’s kind of pressed in a bowl, but it still touches the heat management unit that we have. So let’s try it out. Smoking is his own part. And then because the tobacco slightly touches the Lotus that we have, uh, the flavor is more pronounced, and it’s, it’s a warmer type of uh, type of flavor. And when you pack the bowl like this, like in 10 or 15 minutes, you might put the lid down, uh, so you can prevent it from overheating. So that was the proper way of packing bowls!
The first thing you need to consider the size of the Hookah bowl.
There are three sizes to choose from – small, medium, and large bowl sizes. Why consider the size? The size of the bowl determines how long your hookah smoking session will eventually last.
For instance, if you are using a small hookah bowl, expect your hookah session to last only about half an hour.
On the other hand, a large bowl will extend your hookah session to more than an hour. Medium-sized bowls, of course, last anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes.
The size of the bowl also affects the type of heat management technique that you will apply. You don’t want your bowl to get too hot, or else you end up burning your tobacco. Smaller bowls tend to get hot really fast.
Shape or Style of the Bowl
Another thing that you should consider is the shape of the bowl. Note that hookah bowls can be shallow, deep, thin, and pretty much any artistic shape you can design. The shape of the bowl has a direct impact on how you can use them.
For instance, a thin bowl that is a bit wide allows you to spread the tobacco more evenly.
You will also heat the tobacco really fast due to the fast increase in the bowl’s heat. On the other hand, that would mean that your hookah sessions will be shorter.
If you want your hookah sessions to last longer, then what you need is a deeper bowl. This is also the type of bowl you should be using if you prefer to make more smoke.
There are also other benefits to choosing the right style or shape of shisha bowls. Some styles tend to be better suited for certain flavors, like the vapor paste flavor, for instance.
Whatever size or shape of bowl you may think of, remember that the choice of a bowl usually just depends on one’s own personal preference.
The following are the most common bowl types that you can find:
- Egyptian shisha bowls (aka the standard hookah bowl)
- vortex hookah bowls
- Twin, triple, and quad beats
- Dome type shisha bowls
- Funnel bowls
Let’s go over the details of these bowls.
Egyptian Shaped Bowls
This is probably the most common hookah bowl shape or style there is. Some people even call them the traditional shisha bowl. These hookah bowls are made from clay, and as the name suggests, they originated from Egypt.
Some of the earliest and oldest specimens of hookah bowls are of Egyptian origin. A bowl in Egyptian-style clay usually has a total of five holes on its base. These holes are designed for cost-effectiveness and improved airflow.
When you buy a new shisha pipe, it will usually come with a traditional Egyptian-shaped bowl. Note that bowls of this type are
Egyptian Style Bowl Pros
- They usually come free with new hookah pipes.
- This type of bowl is readily available pretty much everywhere.
- Low cost
Now for the cons
- Generally lacks aesthetic appeal. They are actually not the best-looking hookah bowls.
- These bowls are usually handmade, so don’t expect these bowls’ quality to be uniform from one product to the next, even if they came from the same manufacturer.
- These shisha bowls are not the best option for liquid-based flavors. The juice or some other liquid will tend to trickle down into the water jar.
You can say that the vortex-style hookah bowls came out as a response to the obvious downside of traditional Egyptian-shaped bowls. As stated earlier, the traditional shisha bowl tends to drip the juices into the hookah jar.
To counter this issue, vortex shisha bowls’ makers added a huge raised center portion to the original bowl. This raised area had holes on the sides. That was actually a unique twist in the design of the original hookah bowl.
Since the middle part of the bowl had holes on the side, that ensured that people’s juices no longer trickled down to the jar. You can say that adding that middle stub was a nifty little innovation in the bowl’s design. It allows the flavors to linger and thus improve one’s smoking experience.
Vortex hookah bowls are great for any flavoring. Some of the recommended flavors include vapor pastes like True Cloudz and Hookah Cream). Other flavors you might want to try to include juice-based molasses and steam stone.
Vortex bowl pros
- It is a good option if you want to try different flavors.
- Provides a better and flavorful smoking experience
- Juices do not trickle down to the jar.
- It has a unique design.
- The big downside to this type of shisha bowl is that it can be difficult to clean.
- It can be a bit pricey compared to traditional hookah bowls.
Funnel Type Bowls
The funnel-type hookah bowl is another innovation to try and resolve the issue with traditional hookah bowls. Just like the vortex bowl, this type of shisha bowl also has a raised middle section.
What makes this one different from the vortex-type shisha bowl is that instead of having the holes on the sides, this one has a large hole at the top in the middle of the disc shape.
This central hole leads straight down like a funnel, hence the name of this style of shisha bowl. The effect of this type of design is that the users can draw a lot more smoke than as you would using a traditional or even a vortex bowl. Since more smoke goes into the stem, you get a different kind of smoking experience.
So is it better at keeping the juice in the bowl compared to the vortex? Unfortunately, that is not the case. In fact, experience shows that funnel-type bowls are better suited for flavors that have little juice or even none at all. Many people prefer to use funnel bowls for the intense smoking experience rather than keeping the juices out of the jar.
Funnel Bowl Pros
- This type of hookah bowl works well with many different flavors.
- You can buy it in a lot of different designs.
- It has a good aesthetic appeal.
- You drag more smoke with each puff, which is kind of exhilarating.
Now for the cons
- These hookah bowls tend to be pricier than other types of shisha bowls out there.
- They’re better suited for shisha flavors that only have little juice or maybe no juice at all.
Dome Style Hookah Bowl
Dome-shaped bowls are so named because of the dome shape pushing outwards in the center of the bowl, unlike the other types or styles of hookah bowls we have discussed so far, which are flat.
So, why would you want to add a dome in the middle of a shisha bowl? The answer is that the dome is designed to minimize the amount of flavor you will consume. That means this is a great option for shisha flavors that doesn’t require you to pack a lot of stuff in the bowl.
Experience has it that hookah bowls of this type are best suited for molasses-based shisha flavors. They also work well for vapor-based flavors or any other shisha flavor that doesn’t require many juices. Unfortunately, this type of hookah bowl is not suited for steam stones.
Dome style bowl pros
- It saves you many shisha flavors since you don’t have to use as much for each smoking session.
- A good alternative to traditional Egyptian style hookah bowls
- Low cost – not as expensive as other types of shisha bowls
- Since you can’t pack enough shisha flavor into the bowl, they’re not that good for steam stone-based flavors.
- These bowls are handmade, so the quality isn’t uniform across products.
Multi-Head Style Bowls
Multiple head style bowls are sometimes referred to as novelty style shisha bowls. You’ll find them in different configurations such as twin head, triple head, and quad head types.
So, why have more than one head on your hookah bowl? The idea is simple – that is to have more than one flavor for each smoking session. That isn’t so bad, isn’t it? It will surely add a certain kick to whatever it was you were smoking previously.
Some people describe the experience as a custom cocktail of smoke flavors. Since you have more than one head, you can control how much each flavoring you will use for each head.
You can use your own creativity to mix and match flavors. Add more of one flavor and then increase the heat on that head to make it stronger and then reduce the other head’s amount to put that flavor in the background as it were.
It should also be noted here that hookah bowls of this type are also Egyptian-made and designed. Even though they look very much like a novelty or specialty items, they don’t cost that much compared to traditional hookah bowls.
Multiple head shisha bowl pros
- These multi-head bowls can be available with each new hookah pipe.
- Low cost
- Readily available
- These bowls are usually handmade, so the quality across different products isn’t uniform – some will be better than others even if they come from the same manufacturer.
- They’re not the best-looking shisha bowl out there.
- Liquid or juice-based flavors will tend to flow into the hookah jar.
Hookah Bowl Material
You should also consider when you’re out shopping for hookah bowls is the material in which they are made. The material type affects the flavor that you will get out of your tobacco. The available materials out there include metal, glass, ceramic, and of course, clay.
Glazed vs. Unglazed Clay Hookah Bowls
Clay bowls are the most popular form of shisha bowls in the market. Clay actually does a pretty good job at keeping the heat contained inside. That means you also need fewer coals.
Most of the real clay bowls are hand-made using pottery wheels the traditional way. That’s how the traditional Egyptian hookah bowls are made. You may have heard of Tangiers bowls and think that they’re traditional too but do note that these are made in the United States, but they too have been handcrafted by artisans as well.
Here’s the next big question:
Now here’s another thing that you should factor into your choice of hookah bowl: do you get a glazed bowl or an unglazed one? We’ll go over the details in the discussion below.
- Unglazed Hookah Bowls
Hookah bowls are usually made out of clay. Note, however, that some bowls are made from other materials like metal. When the clay is cooked, it usually remains in its porous state. That is basically your unglazed hookah bowl. Note that this is the hookah bowl in its raw form – that means there are no colors applied to these shisha bowls.
Since there are micro-pores in the bowls themselves, any form of the liquid tends to seep into it. So, expect water, oils, or any other liquid you put into the bowl to seep in. That means if you use a flavor that has a lot of liquid or juice in it, then expect the juice to get sucked into the bowl.
What’s the effect of that you will get out of that? It will leave an aftertaste. Now, not everyone will like that residual flavor. Well, some do, but others don’t. Some even say that it is an acquired taste.
If you have a favorite flavor and that particular flavor you usually stick with, you may want to get an unglazed hookah bowl. The flavor’s residue will remain with that type of bowl, and you can consider it as a specialty bowl that will only be used in tandem with your particular favorite flavor.
So, what’s a glazed hookah bowl? Most of the hookah bowls that are made of clay will be glazed. That automatically makes them non-porous since the glaze will act as a non-permeable membrane. It basically seals the clay to stop flavors and juices from seeping in.
Note that most vortex bowls are actually made of ceramic and not clay. As you might have guessed, ceramic bowls may be a bit expensive compared to clay bowls.
Ceramic bowls also tend to be more consistently shaped compared to clay hookah bowls. Remember that these bowls are not handcrafted. The downside here is that ceramic bowls aren’t as good at keeping the heat in. in that aspect, clay shisha bowls tend to be superior.
Another downside is the fact that ceramic bowls tend to break easier than clay. If you prefer ceramic bowls over the traditional clay-made shisha bowls, then check out the MyaSaray line of products, which can give you plenty of options.
Hookah bowls of this type are usually made of steel. Their big advantage over all other types of shisha bowls is the fact that they don’t break. Steel hookah bowls are usually meant for traveling if you want to bring your hookah whenever you travel.
Even though they are tougher than all the other materials used for making hookah bowls, they have an inherent downside. They tend to heat up much faster than other material types.
You need to keep an eye on the number of coals you use and the heat that they produce. You may have to add or take away coals from time to time when you use these shisha bowls.
There are two types of glass hookah bowls – molded and hand blown. The molded glass hookah bowls are cheaper, but they are easier to break and have poorer heat retention than hand-blown bowls.
Hand-blown glass hookah bowls, on the other hand, are of better quality. They are also sold in a variety of styles. Note that glass shisha bowls tend to heat up much faster compared to clay bowls.
But these bowls tend to look so much better. You just have to monitor the heat, or else the tobacco leaves and your flavoring will end up burned.
Now that you have seen our top 5 picks, you should remember to choose the right hookah bowl that suits your smoking preferences. You can even pick several hookah bowls depending on the type of flavoring you want to use. The bottom line here is that the kind of hookah bowl you select will depend on the particular smoking session you would like to have.